Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Former Vipers Scout Black Loses Fight With Cancer:

Former Vernon Vipers Scout Larry Black lost his life with cancer Monday.  Black spent 11 years in Vernon (2001-2012) as regional and head scout before joining the Salmon Arm Silverbacks last season.

This is posted on the Silverbacks website:

ASSISTANT GM/HEAD SCOUT LARRY BLACK LOSES FIGHT TO CANCER

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 - Submitted by Melanie Hart, Director of Communications

Salmon Arm, BC – It is with great sadness that The Salmon Arm Silverbacks Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club announces that our Assistant GM & Head Scout Larry Black passed away yesterday at the Kelowna General Hospital after a valiant fight with cancer.

“The hockey world lost a great man last night but we all know “Blackie” fought ‘til the final horn. I have never seen a more passionate man for the well being of the players in all of my life and his eye for talent was second to none,” stated Troy Mick, GM/President.

Mick was extremely close to Larry and his family after working with him for many years in junior hockey.

Mick continued, “Larry Black has been one of my closest friends ever since I got into junior hockey. Words cannot describe how much Larry meant to me, our organization, and how he touched the player’s lives and the game of hockey. As much as Larry was a hockey guy, he was like my second father and was always there for me, or any of the players, to discuss hockey and life questions. Blackie was a family man through and through and somebody I will always look up too. He was a role model for us all and will be truly missed. We will love you Blackie forever! No more pain my friend,” said Mick.

The team will honor his memory and his tireless efforts to the game of hockey this weekend on our helmets and in observing a moment of silence at our game vs. the West Kelowna Warriors on Saturday, December 6.

Our sincere condolences go out to Larry’s family during this difficult time.

For more information, contact Troy Mick, GM/President at the Silverbacks Hockey Operations office at 250-832-3856 ext 111.

1 comment:

vipersdiehardfan said...

My thoughts and sincere condolences go out to Larry Black and the Black family. I had a chance to Meet Larry at the 2011 RBC Cup in Camrose. I found out there that Larry was a big follower of my blog.

RIP Larry